Pages

Monday 16 January 2012

REPORTED SPEECH



Explanation of Reported Speech

1) [ . ]  Statement
*     [ that ] is an optional

o   Eg : Azfar said, “ I am handsome.”                      - DS
o          Azfar claimed [that] he is handsome.          - IS

*     Change the verb used in DS.

o   Eg : Sheda said, “ I am smart.”                 -DS
o          Sheda claimed that she is smart      -IS
o   The verb of the statement can be changed but it must be in the same tense!

*     Change the pronoun used in DS [pronoun of the subject]

o   Eg : Sarah cried, “you are bad person!” -DS
o           Sarah cried that I was bad person  -IS
[ you is changed into I – it means that I report to another party that Sarah exclaims me as a bad person]

*     Change the adverb used in DS [adverb of time]
o   Eg : Linda said,I am going to marry Londo today.”    -DS
o          Linda said that she was going to marry Londo yesterday –IS
o          Kyuhyun said, “ Donghae, I will visit Paris next week.” –DS
o          Kyuhyuh told Donghae that he would visit Paris the following week – IS
o          Kiki said, “Lala, please come to my house this evening.” –DS
o          Kiki invited Lala to come to her house that evening. –IS

*     Change the adverb used in DS [adverb of place]
o   Eg : Azman said, “Lolo, how long have you worked here?”
o          Azman asked Lolo how long she had worked there.
NOTE!!       (the above sentence is actually a question, not a statement, but I am using it   a                    as an example for place)

o   Changed of the verb usage in the “ ” mark.
o   Eg : Jason said, “ it is cold.”          -DS
o          Jason said that it was cold.   -IS
Note:
Rule of changing the verb:                      ~simple ~present – simple past         (anything in present will change into past no matter what tense the present is [con, pre, pre.con]
~simple past – past perfect   
~past continuous – past prefect continuous
~past perfect – past perfect [NO CHANGE]
~past pre.con – past pre.con [NO CHANGE]


Direct speech
"I play football"
"I am playing football"
"I have played football"
"I played football"
"I was playing football"
"I had played football"
"I had been playing football"
"I will play football"
"I can play football"

Note
Modal verb also will change.                          *Will = would *Can = could *Must = Had to *Shall = should * May = Might
Reported speech
He said (that) he played football
He said (that) he was playing football
He said (that) he had played football
He said (that) he had played football
He said (that) he had been playing football
He said (that) he had played football
He said (that) he had been playing football
He said (that) he would play football
He said (that) he could play football




2) [ ! ] Imperative Statement (order/ask)

* Basically, all the points have been explained above. However, the different might be only the change of , “ into word  order, ask, requested, offer, exclaim, warn and so on.

o   Eg : Riah said to Amin, “ Go to your room now!”
o          Riah ordered Amin to go to his room then.
o          Kamal says, “ I will kill you if you tell anyone my secret!”
o          Kamal warns me that he would kill me if I told anyone about his secret.




3) [ ? ] Question

*    
( Change into )
Like the rule in of reported speech of statement, the same goes with the rule of reported speech of question. However, some differences  can be spotted while changing the , “ .
*     , “             if / whether (interrogative)
*     When transforming questions, check whether you have to change:
o   pronouns
o   present tense verbs (3rd person singular)
o   place and time expressions

*   NOTE!! – whether / if is also optional.

o   Eg : Aida asked : do you like Super Junior?    -DS
o          Aida asked me if/ whether I liked Super Junior.   -IS
o          Seyna said : Idora, why don’t you speak English?         -DS
o          Seyna asked Idora why she didn’t speak English.         -IS
o          ( there is no either if / whether )
o          Donghae says to Aisy, “ where do you go last weekend?”       -DS
o          Donghae asks Aisy where did she go the previous weekend.           -IS
o          ( the question doesn’t require if / whether )
o          Sarah said, “ Semock, are you missing me?”       -DS
o          Sarah asked Semock whether he was missing her.      -IS
o          (pay attention on the tenses used)
QUESTION = ASKED

Told + Object
Said + no object
Said to + object
 









EXCEPTION!! PAY ATTENTION!!

*     Something that is still true, considered as PRESENT TENSE!
o   EG: “My nick name is Princess”, said Heecul.
o           Heecul said that his nick name is Princess         or
o           Heecul said that his nick name was Princess.
o    ( 1) Is Princess – his nick name will always be Princess.
   2) Was Princess – his nick name was once called as Princess [ he was no longer being called as Princess ]

o   EG : Mr. Aizuddin tells the class, “ Next week’s lesson is about Digestion.”
o           Mr. Aizuddin tells the class that next week’s lesson is about Digestion.
o           Miss Amrien said, “ LDS class will start at 2 pm.”
o           Miss Amrien said that LDS will start at 2 pm.
( future event doesn’t require TENSE changes)

Backshift of Simple Past and Past Progressive is optional if they cannot be mistakenly taken for backshift of Present Tense. So backshift is not necessary if there is a time expression indicating past.

 “She left Boston on Monday.“
He said that she left / had left Boston on Monday.

Simple Past and Past Progressive do not normally change in sentences with when / if.

 “When I was having breakfast, the telephone suddenly rang.“
She said that when she was having breakfast, the telephone suddenly rang.

 “If I had more time, I would learn French.“
He said that if he had more time, he would learn French.

Requests
The basic rule for requests is: introductory clause + ‚to‘ + infinite verb.

 “Say hello to your mum.“
She asked me to say hello to my mum.

Advise expressions with must, should and ought are usually reported using advise / urge.

 “You must read that book.“
He advised / urged me to read that book.

The expression let’s is usually reported using suggest. In this case, there are various possibilities for reported speech: gerund or statement with should.

Let’s go to the cinema.“
He suggested going to the cinema.
He suggested that we should go.to the cinema.


No comments:

Post a Comment